October 19, 2013

We were born here, most died here

I recognize that I am hugely fortunate that I live in the land of my ancestors. By and large, my "people" were born, raised, and buried within a 50 mile radius of where I now live. 

I live in Raleigh, NC. That's Wake County on the map to your left. My ancestors - about 95% of 'em - are from the surrounding counties of Granville, Franklin, Johnston, Harnett, Cumberland, Orange, and Durham. 

There are roads named for my family within blocks of my very modern townhome. Cemeteries dating back to the late 1700s and filled with my ancestors are within a 10 - 30 minute drive, depending on who you're looking for. 

It's not that I haven't traveled and lived other places. So did my parents. But somehow we always came home. I didn't set out to settle here. It just happened. Serendipity. Or maybe not...maybe it was the pull of family.

I am an only child. I was well-loved and gently raised. Both of my parents have gone to live with Jesus. I've read that only children become very curious about their families once their parents are gone. My obsession began long before that, but I did feel a spike in the interest once they were gone. 


My North Carolina Boy
I have an only child. One son. He doesn't live around here; he's a college student (Lord, please...not for much longer!). He has traveled internationally and just this past summer worked in Wyoming and California. 

It did my heart good to hear him say "If I ever get home, I'm never leaving North Carolina again...". He had a good  hard taste of home sickness. He missed his mom, but moreover, he missed his HOME.

Isn't that wonderful? He was homesick. I just LOVED that!  




No comments:

Post a Comment